Project Solo

Thinking outloud about my pending jump into the world of practicing law as a solo practitioner

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Free virus software and other computer stuff

My lap-top had sort of a semi-crash recently. It wouldn't boot up which reminded me of just how dependent we are on our computers. I lost a full day and it could have been worse. I started researching lap top repair solutions on the web and ultimately got the name of a person that does tech support for another attorney to come to my office the same day I was having problems. Of course, when he did come the lap top started up fine but he did some work to it and made some recommendations. He also told me I needed a new lap top hard drive and reminded me of the importance of defraging the hard drive from time to time. His cost was $100 for the hour house call. Here are a few tips/lessons learned:

1. When you network with other solos, ask them who they use for computer support (even if you are pretty adept at computers you really need someone to fall back on when it gets complicated).

2. Keep your work backed up regularly (I still do not have a perfect solution for this, but I am getting close and will blog about it when I get a chance). I know this is pretty obvious but I still do not have a good automated "every-day" back up solutoin in place.

3. My tech guy recommended using this free (at least for home use) anti-virus program from Avast I had a copy of Norton running but that really really slows down your computer. I had not heard of Avast before based on my tech guy's recommendation and these reviews I am going to give it a try. It works on the honor system so when you feel like you have the cash pay for the office edition.

4. Defrag your hard drive from time to time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home