Project Solo

Thinking outloud about my pending jump into the world of practicing law as a solo practitioner

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Who am I? Why am I here?

So here is my brief bio, more detail to be provided in later posts. I was born and raised on the east coast, I went to college at a Midwestern university and then returned home after college, graduating in the late 1980s. I spent the first 7 or 8 months after college trying to figure out what I wanted to do, interviewing for various business analysts type jobs, it was frustrating and my first introduction to resumes and "what are your strengths/weaknesses" types of questions.

I ended up working for a government funded research team for about four or five months and then landed a job doing economic analysis. I stayed there for about three years before going to law school full time. My first law school summer I worked at the public defender's office and my second summer I worked at a large firm and returned there full-time after graduation. I joined the corporate department at the firm (M&A, venture capital, bank financing type work) and stayed there for three years. I eventually decided that the business people at our corporate clients had the more interesting job and wanted to get out of law (now I think it was a case of the-grass-is-always-greener syndrome). I lefte the firm and have been on an extended tour of corporate America for the past several years (with a few periods of unemployment mixed in). I have worked for small, medium and, now, mega corporations primarily focusing on strategic partnerships and acquisitions. For the past year, I have been working for a Fortune 500 corporation but am actively making plans to return to the practice of law as a solo practitioner.

And of course, I can't forget the best part of my life, I married my college girlfriend and we have two wonderful children under the age of 6. Home life is great, its the professional life riddle I am still trying to solve at the threshold of age 40.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home