Project Solo

Thinking outloud about my pending jump into the world of practicing law as a solo practitioner

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Sunday off site

Well my wife and I had an off site on Sunday. I don't know what your life is like but by the time we get the kids down to bed on the weeknights we are too tired to do much talking about the finances, bills, career plans etc. I am inclined to hit the couch and watch 24 or surf the web or just set the coffee maker to come on in the morning and go to bed. We just could not find time to have a serious discussion about our finances and my plans to go solo.

So, on Super Bowl Sunday afternoon, we got a babysitter and headed to a study room at the library of my old law school. We were there for about 2.5 hours going over the various Quicken reports trying to figure out how we spend so much money on a lifestyle that is just not that extravagant. We also talked about my plan to move to solo law, what would be at stake, risks etc. My wife is a great supporter and gave me the pep talk I needed. Sometime you just need to hear someone say "you can do it" over and over again. So the conclusion out of that was that we spend too much money, we will try and cut back and its time to rock and roll with Project Solo. My plan is to ask my current employer if I can go part time say 2 days a week, leaving 3 days to do the law practice. I hope to have this conversation in the coming week, we shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home