Project Solo

Thinking outloud about my pending jump into the world of practicing law as a solo practitioner

Monday, February 13, 2006

Office Space

There is something liberating about being able to choose the environment and location of where I am going to work. In a past job, I use to drive 50 minutes each way out to an office that was selected because it was within a 5 minute drive of the CEO's house. Good for him, not good for me.

On the way home from work today, I stopped off to look at an office that was advertised on Craig's List. It was a nice size office with large windows in a three story office building that had other small businesses (although no lawyers). The advertised rent was about $600 and its about a 10 minute drive from my house. I had a good feeling about the other people in the office that I met, seemed nice, easy going. They are looking for a month-to-month commitment which is fine with me. That said, there was no conference room to meet clients and the general appearance of the building would not make the best impression on clients. It may work as a place to work for the first few months but I don't think it is a long term home.

The ideal situation for me is an office in a nice suite of other solo or small firm lawyers. I found one great place with a nice office, receptionist, conference room, copy machine, law library etc. but the cost was way out of my range at $1500/month which includes someone to answer the phone. I am going to offer them $500/month for a temporary situation so that if they do find someone to pay the full amount they can kick me out on 30 days notice. I know they have been looking for a while so maybe they will take it.

I could work out of the house, but I am the type of person that really needs to get out of the house to work, even in the dorm I could never work in my room always going to the library. Something about keeping work and home life separate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home