Project Solo

Thinking outloud about my pending jump into the world of practicing law as a solo practitioner

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Devil You Don't Know

I am afflicted with what appears to be the typical fears and anxiety (and, at times, panic!) of leaving the comfort of a regular pay check for the unknown. I say typical because so many of the other pepople starting out describe the same feelings. There are lots of things to worry about, failure, money problems, being alone, being in over my head. One of the fears I really wonder is whether I will like practicing law? Remember, I already quit the law once because I thought I didn't like it. But that was working for a big firm. So as I think back on those days I wonder was it the big firm I didn't like or was it the actual pracitceof law? Sometimes it is hard to look inside your head and find the answers to these kinds of questions. I can remember vaguly (this was 8+ years ago) thinking that the job would be pretty good if it was 9 to 5 which suggests that perhaps that I did like the actual work it was just the way the law was practiced. I also know that at times when I have done a blend of legal and business work I have generally liked the legal parts of it. I remember once leaving the office and spending a day at the library drafting a partnership agreement, it was kind of fun. I also know I have enjoyed reading the local legal newspaper when I started subscribing a few months ago (something I never did while practicing law at a big firm). So maybe I actually like the law. There were, however, other times when I was more than happy that I had a general counsel or coporate counsel to fall back on, let them worry about all that stuff I thought as I focused on the business aspects of the various deals I worked on. So all of that leaves me wondering, will I like it or not. I think I will but I am not sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home