Project Solo

Thinking outloud about my pending jump into the world of practicing law as a solo practitioner

Monday, April 03, 2006

Sweet Home Alabama

Friday was it. My last full-time day of employment at my non-law job. It was a little weird in that I am going to be starting back there two days a week after taking this week off. We went out to lunch, nice things were said about my year or service to the company, I cleaned up my desk, sent out an email to people reminding them that I would be converting to part time and headed for the door around 4:00pm. As I pushed through the door into the warm spring sunny day I started to spontaneously hum then sing Lynyrd Skynard's song Free Bird. By spontaneous, I mean that I didn't really think about the song and then sing it, I just became aware that I was singing it, the sun was on my face, I felt so energized. As I got to my car, I pulled out my iPod to see if I had Free Bird loaded in there, I thought I did but it wasn't there. I did find Sweet Home Alabama, however, and thought oh well I haven't heard that song in a while and hit play as I pulled out the parking lot. What a great song (I'll leave it to others to sort out the politics of the song), I was listening to the lyrics which are really about coming home to a place you love. Not to get too sappy, but this move to solo law has a feel of coming home, I am returning to the practice of law after a 9 year break, a home coming of sorts, hopefully I am also going to find a home in solo practice that will quench the thirst for career satisfaction. Something I have not quite been able to find for the past 10+ years. I cranked up the volume, rolled down the windows, and listened to the song three or four times speeding down the highway.

Sweet home Alabama
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet Home Alabama
Lord, I'm coming home to you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home